Please note, the following Pre-College admissions information is for the 2019 Admissions cycle, which is now complete. Please check back in August for the updated 2020 Pre-College Admissions requirements.
The Tianjin Juilliard Pre-College is for students of elementary through high-school age who exhibit the talent, potential, and accomplishment to pursue serious, conservatory-style music studies.
Applicants should be 8 -18 years-old at the time of entrance. If you are applying for Pre-College admission during your final year of high school and plan to attend a full-time collegiate program after graduation, you are ineligible to apply. Students applying in their final year of high-school who have decided to take a “gap-year” between high school graduation and entrance into a full-time college may be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis (a student in this “gap-year” situation may be 18-19 years-old during enrollment).
Criteria for Acceptance
- Exceptional talent as a performer, and the potential to meet Tianjin Juilliard's technical standards
- A high level and quality of musicianship
- A capacity for sustained, disciplined practice
- Curiosity and a desire to develop your musical voice
- A basic English language comprehension level is required as lessons and coursework will be taught in English - an English language interview will be included in your audition in order to best support you in your studies.
||Deadline: February 3, 2019
||Deadline: February 3, 2019
|Duolingo English Test
||April 1, 2019
||March 15 - April 15, 2019
|Audition Results Posted
||May 1 - 15, 2019
|Response Due Back From Students
||June 1, 2019
The deadline to submit your application is February 3, 2019. To begin, create your Tianjin Juilliard Admissions Account, gather the required application materials, and follow the instructions to complete your application.
Application submission for 2019 is now closed.
Start Your Application
The 770 RMB application fee is nonrefundable and must be paid through your application status page upon submission of your application.
All applicants must submit prescreening materials with their application. These materials are reviewed by the admissions committee to determine which applicants will be invited to a live audition. You will receive the live audition invitation by March 1.
Learn more about pre-screening requirements
Duolingo English Test
- Only applicants who have passed the pre-screening are required to take an online English test on Duolingo before April 1st, 2019.
- You can visit this page to start: https://go.duolingo.com/juilliard
- Please use the same name and contact e-mail to register for Duolingo that you used to complete your Tianjin Juilliard School application.
- A $49 assessment fee will be paid directly to Duolingo.
- The purpose of the test is to better understand our applicants’ English proficiency in order to better support our students once enrolled. Results of the test are taken into consideration when making an admission decision, but there is no minimum score required.
- Students are encouraged to utilize the free Duolingo website and App to improve their English skills in preparation for their studies.
Applicants who successfully pass the pre-screening portion of the application process will be invited to register for an audition at one of our regional audition sites throughout China. We will begin to release invitations to live auditions shortly after our deadline of February 3, 2019 has passed.
Learn more about audition requirements
Consultative lessons give prospective students the opportunity to meet and work with Tianjin Juilliard faculty during the admissions process. Consultative lessons should be viewed as a way for students to learn about a teacher’s style and pedagogical approach; they are not mandatory, and do not guarantee admission.
The Tianjin Juilliard School may be able to arrange for consultative lessons based on faculty availability and other factors. The fee for a 60-minute consultative lesson is 1500 RMB. During the 2019-2020 academic year, all lessons will take place at the Tianjin Conservatory of Music (North Campus).